April Fools! We know Ducey would never do that.
We wish Ducey would give teachers raises and fully fund our schools to pre-recession levels, but sadly he refuses to do anything about Arizona’s education crisis.
Here’s what Ducey has actually done for education:
- Gave Arizona’s low-paid teachers a one-time, two percent pay increase — while giving his own friends in his administration double digit raises. [Arizona Republic, 10/19/17]
- That low pay has created a teacher shortage crisis, with nearly 2,000 positions vacant as of December 2017 [Arizona Republic, 12/20/17].
- Signed a massive expansion of the state’s private school voucher program, which put him in good graces with national conservative groups – including the Koch Brothers network. [Associated Press, 4/11/17]
- Signed a law allowing people without formal training to teach children across the state. [Capital Media Services, 5/2/17]
- Ducey’s proposed $38 million education program increased funding for Arizona’s wealthiest schools by $15 million – while low income school districts only received $13.5 million. [Arizona Republic, 4/24/17]
The one good thing he’s done for education? Started a grassroots movement of teachers, parents and education supporters who are frustrated and finally fighting back against years of Republican neglect of our schools.
Want to help us support the movement and fight for an Arizona where this wouldn’t be just an April Fools joke? Donate today and help us make it possible!